Monday, February 24, 2014

Motivational Monday-Are you afraid of the phone?

Let’s get real with your business today and ask the hard questions that most people in a Multi-Level Marketing company struggle with:

  • Why am I so afraid of the phone?
  • Why do I feel like the people on the other end of the line might kill me?
  • Why does my heart pound as I wait for someone to answer but pray that I just get sent to voicemail?


Fear of the phone is a very real thing.  We feel like we’re invading people’s private space, we feel like a nuisance, and we feel like a telemarketer.

Stop right there.

You are not a telemarketer in the sense that you are not calling a random list given to you in the hopes that someone who did not reach out to you at all will set an appointment with your company.  There are no managers wandering the sales floor like sharks just waiting to see that phone in the air, hungry to hear someone yell, “CLOSER!”  That is called ‘cold calling’, or calling people who have had no previous contact with you or your company.

You aren't a robot being paid to bug people during the dinner hour trying to get them to do something you don’t want them to do.

You are calling from leads that you generated yourself, and this is called ‘warm calling’.  They would not have taken the time to fill out that slip at your event, or opt-in on your blog, or contact form on your website if they weren't willing to take a phone call from you.  As a matter of fact, it would be rude to not contact someone who obviously wanted to be contacted by your organization, and if you don’t do it, they will find someone else.

I think back to when I found Damsel in Defense.  I went to a gun show with my husband and off in the distance, I saw a big pink banner and lots of sparkles.  Like a fish to a big fancy lure, I was drawn directly to it, abandoning my husband in a sea of army green and black.  What I found was amazing!  Self-defense products for women?!?!  Stun guns in pink?!  I needed to have these things so badly.  I filled out a contact form and waited.  I called the number they gave me, and got nothing.  Three weeks went by and I began to get frustrated, and almost gave up on the company as a whole, but just before I did, I contacted the corporate number and said, “Don’t you want my money?!”  They reassured me that someone else would be contacting me shortly.

Lucky for me, the person who contacted me was amazing.  She did two parties for me before I decided it was the company for me, and she turned out to be an amazing mentor and is now my Director, and I have worked my way up to Senior Mentor.

Was the original gal afraid of the phone?  I’ll never know, but she didn't get my business or me as a teammate because I didn't receive the call I was expecting to get.

So, the next time you sit down with your stack of leads and get ready to give them a call, think of each one of them as me, jumping up and down waiting for you, wishing desperately that you would call me so I can learn more about the products, about you, and ultimately about the company. 


What are you waiting for?

If you're ready to learn more about Damsel in Defense, email me at susnhine@yourdamseldiva.com or find me on the web at yourdamseldiva.com.  Let's chat about your future!

No comments:

Post a Comment